For the question “Do you think Apple provides a way to limit ad- tracking for Apple Watch?” around 40% of the participants thought they could. We hypothesize the increase in awareness for this ques- tion because Apple gives this option in the Privacy settings of the Watch, iPhone, and other Apple products. Participants are more likely to find information that they have easy access to, rather than the information they have to search for like the previous question.
For the question “Do you think you can reset your digital fin- gerprint generated for your Apple Watch?” roughly 40% of the participants answered in the affirmative. The number is similar to the previous question as the two options are on the same page, so we hypothesize that the people answered in the positive for the previous question are the same people who answered this question correctly.
Amongst our participants 50% already owned an Apple watch. So we first focus on the remainder of the 50% participants. At the beginning of the study, we hypothesized that knowing with an increase in user awareness, people might change their perspective about buying a product. According to our survey, our hypothesis was correct. Around 73% of the participants changed their perspec- tive from not buying to buying. Whereas the remaining 27% did not change their perspective. Of the people who already owned an Apple watch, 60% participants stated that they did not change their perspective, whereas 40% participants stated that they changed their opinion about owning an Apple Watch. From the data available, we cannot make any conclusive statement as to what they would be doing with their apple watch. Around 90% of the partici- pants thought the information provided in the survey was useful,and that they would better use this information to protect themselves in the future.
In Figure above, we see a correlation matrix we see that for the questions for which we had the least user awareness, are the questions for which we see a higher correlation between that question and the reason for the change in perspective. The questions that are highlighted are the questions for profiling users and apple sharing users’ data for marketing purposes. We see a little to no correlation for the question which involved limiting ad tracking and resetting digital fingerprint, though there is some correlation, we hypothesize that is because almost 60% of the users cumulatively were aware of that feature, or thought that it was possible. Although correlation is not causation in all cases, the data, in this case, does tip the scale in the other direction.
15 people replied to the survey. 60% of which do not own a fitness tracker. 60% of the participants that own a fitness tracker were concerned that the fitness trackers track locations, and the data can be harnessed for targeted advertisements. 40% of the people who don’t own a fitness tracker suggest that they don’t find it justifiable for the businesses to store health data.
80% of the people are concerned that businesses don’t provide a way to delete user’s data permanently. And 85% of the participants are uncomfortable sharing their data with advertisers, but 60% are comfortable sharing with health institutions for health data studies.
From the data that was collected approximately 40% were fundamentalist, 33% were pragmatists and 27% of the participants were unconcerned. We believe the number of unconcerned participants is relatively low because of the age of the participants, which was relatively young.